On Monday, 1 April 2013 at 08:53:51 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
On 2013-04-01 01:39, Jesse Phillips wrote:

I'm not well versed in PB or Orange so I'd need to play around more with both, but I'm pretty sure Orange would need changes made to be able to make the claim PB is supported. It should be possible to create a binary
format based on PB.

Isn't PB binary? Or it actually seems it can be both.

Let me see if I can describe this.

PB does encoding to binary by type. However it also has a schema in a .proto file. My first concern is that this file provides the ID to use for each field, while arbitrary the ID must be what is specified.

The second one I'm concerned with is option to pack repeated fields. I'm not sure the specifics for this encoding, but I imagine some compression.

This is why I think I'd have to implement my own Serializer to be able to support PB, but also believe we could have a binary format based on PB (which maybe it would be possible to create a schema of Orange generated data, but it would be hard to generate data for a specific schema).