On Saturday, 6 April 2013 at 08:01:09 UTC, Adrian Mercieca wrote:
So I'll either have to not use the runtime+standard libraries and implement all I'd need myself without GC or else stick to C++. The latter would be a pity because I really like D, but then in C++ I have full
control and the performance is always good.

It is actually even worse, as omitting runtime cripples core language noticably. I was hinted with this cool project though : https://bitbucket.org/timosi/minlibd

In my very simple test, the GC version of my program ran more than twice slower than the non GC version. I just cannot accept that kind of
performance penalty.

Raw performance is kind of achievable if you use own memory pools for data and limit GC only for language constructs (appending to slices, delegates etc.) - those to approaches can happily coexist in D.

Problems start when soft real-time requirements appear.