Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
On Fri, 22 May 2009 21:22:55 -0400, Andrei Alexandrescu <seewebsiteforem...@erdani.org> wrote:
1. Any range should be seamlessly and efficiently used as an input range.

This is the assumption I am challenging. I don't think you need this assumptions for ranges to work. You can always bolt input range functionality on top of a stream range if you want to treat a stream as an input range for some reason.

I believe there is indeed a terminology problem. To me, "input range" == "stream" == "socket" == "bridge that is sinking under your feet as you walk it". So to me there exists no "stream range". That to me is an "input range".

But if foreach doesn't utilize the popNext api, then streams require an unnecessary layer on top, just to use foreach with them.

We can arrange that foreach uses popNext, but it must be worth it.