On Monday, 8 April 2013 at 09:31:46 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
On 2013-04-08 10:56, Dicebot wrote:

Sure. Actually, executable size is an easy problem to solve considering custom druntimed mentioned before. Most of size in small executables come from statically linked huge druntime. (Simple experiment: use "-betterC" switch and compile hello-world program linking only to C
stdlib. Same binary size as for C analog).

That's cheating. It's most likely due to the C standard library is being dynamically linked. If you dynamically link with the D runtime and the standard library you will get the same size for a Hello World in D as in C. Yes, I've tried this with Tango back in the D1 days.

Erm. How so? Same C library is dynamically linked both for D and C programs so I am comparing raw binary size honestly here (and it is the same).

If you mean size of druntime is not that relevant if you link it dynamically - embedded application can often be the only program that runs on given system ("single executive" concept) and it makes no difference (actually, dynamic linking is not even possible in that case).