On Thursday, 11 April 2013 at 08:03:53 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
On 4/10/2013 11:55 PM, Paulo Pinto wrote:
Some of our consulting projects are conversion of C++ code into one of the said technologies. We usually achieve performance parity with the existing application.

With C, C++ and Fortran it is easier to achieve a certain performance level without effort, while the other languages require a bit of effort knowing the runtime, writing GC friendly data structures and algorithms, and doing
performance analysis, but it achievable as well.

Many developers don't want to do this, hence my statement.

I've seen enough "performant" C++ code to disagree with your statement. If they knew what was going on with how C++ implemented their constructions, they could get a lot better performance.

The second problem with writing performant C and C++ code is the difficulty of refactoring code to try different data structures & algorithms. Generally, one picks a design up front, and never changes it because it is too hard to change it.

Fair enough, I have left the C daily coding on the job in 2002 and C++ in 2005, so I can hardly consider myself an expert in optimization tricks in those languages.

Nowadays I get seldom the opportunity to write new C++ code on the job.

--
Paulo