On Tuesday, 16 April 2013 at 20:21:00 UTC, Peter Alexander wrote:
This is the point I have a problem with:

2.2. One cannot opt out of nothrow or pure with auto functions.
This argument has one solid answer: don't use auto when the need is to specify an attribute pattern explicitly.

I find this unacceptable. Thanks to the proliferation of template code in D, it is often rather difficult to spell out return types. Indeed, this is part of the original reason for auto's existence. Denying return type deduction for this use case is a major inconvenience.

How frequently do you write a non-templated function which returns a complex template type? It isn't something I really think about, but I'm pretty sure if I am returning a complex template type I've already got the function a template.