On 4/23/13 2:32 PM, Manu wrote:
On 24 April 2013 04:01, Andrei Alexandrescu
<seewebsiteforem...@erdani.org <mailto:seewebsiteforem...@erdani.org>>
wrote:

        On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 13:33:31 -0400, Andrei Alexandrescu
        <seewebsiteforem...@erdani.org
        <mailto:seewebsiteforem...@erdani.org>__> wrote:

            Our intent is to make "ref" always scoped and reserve
            non-scoped uses
            to pointers.

        So no more returning ref?

    If we can't return ref, ref has failed. (This is what makes the
    entire thing difficult btw.)

I think the key that's not in this DIP is that it should also return
'scope ref' to maintain the safety.
This brings the proposal in-line with your plans, except the safety is
explicit, and the option is available to the programmer.

We prefer to simplify. Use ref safely for scoped pass-down of resources, use pointers for unrestricted escapes. What you see as "offering an option" I see as "adding a burden".

Making 'safe' ref the default is a major breaking change.

How do you assess the size of the breakage?