Jason House Wrote:

> Bartosz Milewski Wrote:
>
> My hobby project is a multi-threaded game-playing AI. My current scheme uses
> a shared search tree using lockless updates with search results. Besides
> general ability to use your scheme for what I've already done, I'm also
> interested in how to overhaul the garbage collector and implementing lockless
> hashtables (see high-scale-lib on sf.net)

I see, you're a hardcore lockfree programmer. All you can expect from D is
Sequential Consistency--nothing fancy like C++ weak atomics. But that's for the
better.

> > The complex part is for library writers who have very demanding needs.
> > Unfortunately, I have to describe the whole shebang in my blog, otherwise
> > people won't believe that the system is workable and that it satisfies
> > their high expectations.
>
> Yeah, I'm waiting for more details like which fences are introduced by the
> lockless SC requirements. The high-scale-lib is virtually fence free.

I don't have much to say about that because it's a know problem and it has
already been solved in Java. I can tell you what is required on an x86: use
xchg for writes, and that's all. I think Walter has already implemented it,
because he asked me the same question.