On Wednesday, 29 May 2013 at 23:45:04 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:
On 05/29/2013 03:59 PM, Peter Williams wrote:

> I've been trying to find out how non ref array arguments are
passed to
> functions in D but can't find any documentation on it.

The following concepts are relevant:

- Dynamic array: Maintained by the D runtime

Generally yes, but not always http://dpaste.dzfl.pl/ffbcb449

- Fixed-length array (aka static array): Can be on the stack

- Slice: An efficient tool to access a range of elements (of any type of array)

Usually, it is the slice that gets passed:

  void foo(int[] slice);

Isn't it a dynamic array? I don't understand listing slice as separate type of arrays or mixing meaning of slice and dynamic array. As far as D spec is concerned, slice is a SliceExpression which produces dynamic array for array types.

A slice is made up of the pointer to the first element and the number of elements:

struct __SomeImplementationDependentName__
{
    size_t length;
    void * ptr;
}