On Wednesday, 29 May 2013 at 22:42:08 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
On 5/29/2013 3:26 AM, qznc wrote:
Once I heared an argument from developers working for banks. They coded business-specific stuff in Java. Business-specific meant financial concepts with german names (e.g. Vermögen,Bürgschaft), which sometimes include äöüß. Some of those concept had no good translation into english, because they are not used outside of Germany and the clients prefer the actual names anyways.

German is pretty easy to do in ASCII: Vermoegen and Buergschaft

What about Chinese? Russian? Japanese? It is doable, but I can tell you for a fact that they very much don't like reading it that way.

You know, having done programming in Japan, I know that a lot of devs simply don't care for english, and they'd really enjoy just being able to code in Japanese. I can't speak for the other countries, but I'm sure that large but not spread out countries like China would also just *love* to be able to code in 100% Madarin (I'd say they wouldn't care much for English either).

I think this possibility is actually a brilliant feature that could help popularize the language oversees, especially in teaching courses, or the private sector. Why not turn down a feature that makes us popular?

As for research/university, I think they are already global enough to stick to English anyways.

No matter how I see it, I can only see benefits to keeping it, and downsides to turning it down.