On Thursday, 30 May 2013 at 20:58:35 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
There is a significant difference between a language feature which adds actual
functionality and one that's purely syntactic sugar.

- Jonathan M Davis

Plus here, the difference is four characters if you count the single space. I think there really isn't any value added to the language from this syntax. It's an alternative way to write something that is already very short and easy to understand. Plus, I think of auto as really just a placeholder, given that you don't need auto if you have a qualifier, like so:

const x = 3.4f;