It's done entirely by Walter on his own systems, and I suspect that the deb
and rpm files are created from the zip file (though I'm not sure if he creates
those or someone else does). We need to change it so that the process for
generating them is automated and does not rely on Walter. Work is being done
in that area, but it does not appear to be a priority for Walter.

Creating deps and rpms is done from the zip file, and the scripts are here:

   https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/installer

I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but those scripts are not a mystery and anyone can produce pull requests to add to them or fix them.