On Wednesday, 5 June 2013 at 17:24:56 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
In my experience, xz has way worse compression time than bzip2, and on smaller files, it actually compresses worse. Where xz shines are large files. It definitely beats out bzip2 by a fair bit there. But as it loses at small files (which distro packages usually are), it seems very off to me that Arch Linux switched to used xz from gzip. It would have made for more sense to switch to
bzip2.

If I were you, I'd assume that the Arch Linux devs have done their homework, and xz actually compresses a typical package better than bzip2 does.

And indeed, when I compared different compression formats to figure out how to distribute the LDC binary packages, I found that xz compresses our packages quite a bit better than bzip2 does, while being faster at *de*compressing, which is what matters for users.

As far as compression speed goes, I actually find it to be mostly irrelevant for packaging binary releases: I don't care whether the archive creation part of my scripts takes 5 or 50 seconds to run, uploading the archives probably takes longer anyway, unless I'm on the university internet connection.

David