On Friday, 7 June 2013 at 07:42:58 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
My point is that a language where -O delivers the performance is preferable to a language that you have to do careful annotations and run extra tools on to get it.

Depends on target audience. Some want tight control over resulting binary. At one of my jobs full scale performance test where run on every added feature and bug-fix block - mostly because even minor change to alignment to cache lines could have resulted in an observable performance drop. But that is not mainstream attitude for sure.