On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 16:31:35 -0400, Walter Bright <newshou...@digitalmars.com> wrote:

I think in the end, we are optimizing here in the wrong place. If a specific hardware/software combination requires specific buffering, the place to handle it is in the runtime, not code on top of it. If the C runtime that D uses isn't up to snuff, let's use a different scheme, or abandon it all together *for that
specific device*.

There's simply no reason to do that. There has been a fix proposed that not only solves the problem correctly (your solution is incomplete), it does not require any improvements to the underlying C runtime.

This doesn't fix the "problem" of when someone calls

fflush(stdout);

In their code somewhere. Your contention is this messes up all the writes beyond that. If that is such a problem, we should avoid using such a problematic library. We are after all, in control of the D runtime.

But my argument is purposely ad absurdum, because it clearly is not a problem for any systems that exist today (as evidence shows). You are arguing unproven hypotheses about systems that are long dead with no hope of running D code. I respectfully bow out to work on more important things.

-Steve