On Saturday, 22 June 2013 at 16:19:20 UTC, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
On Saturday, 22 June 2013 at 16:17:55 UTC, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
Anyway, what features are you using now that you thought you'd never
use when you started out using D?

Apologies for the title, should have said "going". Too much pizza
I suppose.. (makes me sleepy)

Personally, I "loved" using templates in C++, so I must say, when I read TDPL, I was batshit excited about templates. enums, static if, ctfe... Wow.

Unicode: I thought "cute, this language supports unicode". Just reading TDPL's intro about unicode finally made it "click" about what unicode *is*. In about a month later, I felt like the unicode fucking *master*.

mixin and token strings. I wasn't a huge fan of mixin, but their power over macros has grown on me. As for token string, I was look "OK... a special syntax for strings representing tokens... why?" But I've come to understand how cool that actually is, and I use it a lot more now.

classes I didn't use then, and I still don't use now, but I'm more of a "low level library writer" kind of user, then building useful programs kind of guy :D