On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 18:35:45 -0400, David <d...@dav1d.de> wrote:

Am 30.06.2013 22:53, schrieb SomeDude:
On Sunday, 30 June 2013 at 20:47:17 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
On Sunday, 30 June 2013 at 20:37:16 UTC, SomeDude wrote:
It seems indeed that the automatic memory management is a major
performance killer

Eh, I'd say it is D's gc implementation specifically that is the
biggest worry rather than the concept. I think the .net gc is
seriously like 10x faster than D's implementation.

Yes, yes, you're right. However, not allocating at least in Phobos is
one of the surest way to get near optimal performance, not to mention
it's always more satisfying when you know that your program doesn't
monopolize Mb of RAM to do even the simplest task.

Wow, I don't care if it does, especially if it is only a simple task.
Memory is there to be used. If I want to avoid memory useage, I wouldn't
be using D.

The difference between using 300 MB of ram and 1GB of ram on an online virtual private server can be about $30/month.

I recently figured out that vibe.d's idea of "just in time" compile and module load would not work on my VPS because dmd takes 500MB to compile simple vibe.d hello world.

I think memory usage is still important. Many people don't consider that their computer is running hundreds of programs at a time. If each one of those "didn't care" about memory usage, the one that you are currently interested in would not have any breathing room.

-Steve