Steve Schveighoffer wrote:
On Sat, 06 Jun 2009 21:59:39 -0700, Sean Kelly wrote:

Steve Schveighoffer wrote:
On Sat, 06 Jun 2009 12:03:03 -0700, Sean Kelly wrote:

auto str1 = "hello".idup;
auto str2 = str3 = str1;
str2 ~= " world";
str3 ~= " garbage";

Doesn't seem terribly safe to me.

Oh, I know. It's a long-standing issue with immutability, but I think if appending gets fixed as Andrei suggests, this should be fixed as well. I was just saying that your statement about immutable data never being appended in-place was false.

Oops, I replied based on an educated guess--I should have tested it. Still, immutable arrays are hardly immutable if an append can alter their contents.