On Sunday, 7 July 2013 at 13:12:06 UTC, Tommi wrote:
[..] Then, when parsing assert expressions, if an undefined symbol is found, the compiler would check that separate list of symbols that it has been keeping, and if the symbol is found there and use of the symbol is syntactically correct, the compiler would just keep on going instead of spewing an "unidentified identifier" error.

One thing that might also help there, is the fact that once an unidentified identifier is encountered in an assert expression and that same identifier is found on that separate list of things we've been keeping, then we know that the current assert expression can only end up either being an "unidentified identifier" error or being compiled out of existence, but it can't end up being turned into an assert(0).