On Monday, 8 July 2013 at 09:02:44 UTC, Tommi wrote:
On Sunday, 7 July 2013 at 20:35:49 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
All Siri does is recognize a set of stock patterns, just like Eliza. Step out of that, even slightly, and it reverts to a default, again, just like Eliza.

Of course, Siri had a much larger set of patterns it recognized, but with a bit of experimentation you
quickly figure out what those stock patterns are.
There's nothing resembling human understanding there.

But that applies to humans, too - they just have a much larger set of patterns they recognize.

I don't buy that. Humans don't process data like computers do.

Humans don't and _can't_ process data like computers do, but computers _can_ process data like humans do.

Human brain does it's computation in a highly parallel manner, but signals run much slower than they do in computers. What human brain does is a very specific process, optimized for survival on planet Earth.

But computers are generic computation devices. They can model any computational processes, including the ones that human brain uses (at least once we get some more cores in our computers).

Disclaimer: I'm basically just paraphrasing stuff I read from "The Singularity Is Near" and "How to Create a Mind".

The human mind being so particularly powerful at some tasks is a product of both it's architecture *and* it's training. The importance of physical learning in artificial intelligence is getting some good recognition these days.

For me, the most interesting question in all of this is "What is intelligence?". While that might seem the preserve of philosophers, I believe that computers have the ability to (and already do) demonstrate new and diverse types of intelligence, entirely unlike human intelligence but nonetheless highly effective.