On Thursday, 11 July 2013 at 02:55:24 UTC, Luís Marques wrote:
So, summing it up: even assuming that performance is not an issue, does the advice to always encapsulate your member variables (as one would do, for instance, in idiomatic Java) actually make sense for D, or would you recommend using public member variables when that is more straightforward, and the indirection is not yet needed?

In general it seems people just use public fields. (I do, and sometimes annotated with @property). Considering the history this makes sense; optional parens "addressed" properties (see property discussions).

On of the main problems has been that public fields can be passed to ref parameters while this is not true for getters. I see this as a deficiency in @property but don't recall all the detail of the problem.