Walter Bright:

Speed is only one measure of utility.

I agree, I program often in Python, and it can be very useful, despite being sometimes not fast at all.

But as Haskell folks sometimes say, a modern language should try to allow a high level style of coding while still keeping a "good enough" efficiency.

------------------------

Justin Whear:

I hadn't realized how bug-prone non-trivial loops tend to be until I started writing this way and avoided them entirely.

I agree.

Thus far, I don't think I've rewritten anything out of the component programming style, so while probably not optimal, it's been more than good enough.

Take a look at this thread in D.learn:

http://forum.dlang.org/thread/mailman.304.1375190212.22075.digitalmars-d-le...@puremagic.com

Andrei Alexandrescu:

Is that a lot better than ghc?

According to this article it seems better, but I have no direct experience of it:

http://www.leafpetersen.com/leaf/publications/hs2013/haskell-gap.pdf

Bye,
bearophile