On Tuesday, 6 August 2013 at 20:28:59 UTC, Peter Alexander wrote:
On Tuesday, 6 August 2013 at 09:05:57 UTC, Jakob Ovrum wrote:
Specifically, I suggest the following deprecation path:

* Add deprecation notes to std.functional's unaryFun and binaryFun so users are dissuaded from using them in new code. In time, we would remove their documentation. * Leave support for string lambdas in existing Phobos functions for the foreseeable future, for backwards-compatibility purposes. * Change all documentation so that it doesn't mention string lambdas, whether in prose or code. Phobos pull request #707 (Switch std.algorithm/.range to lambda syntax)[2] attempted this and was approved and merged, but subsequently reverted due to bugs.
* New functions would not support string lambdas.

Yes x 4. I think this is the perfect path to their semi-deprecation.

Deprecating them completely, I think, would be unwise since there's a lot of code out there using them. Deprecation through obscurity while retaining backwards-compatibility is the right choice.

I agree this is the best decision.