On Wednesday, 7 August 2013 at 18:37:22 UTC, Jesse Phillips wrote:
On Tuesday, 6 August 2013 at 22:23:03 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
I think it should be fair to require the new compiler with the new stdlib. They are released in unison.

Andrei

I agree, but there is at least potential benefits from choosing previous compiler version. If a change in compiler requires a change in Phobos/druntime it also means a change in user code (at least I don't see why it wouldn't).

It would just be an extra layer to make upgrading from one compiler to another less likely to have unintended breaking changes. But this would be minor in comparison to the other steps which have been taken.

You should be able to run side-by-side installations of dmd+phobos, at least that is how I do it. One latest stable, one built from GitHub source.