On Saturday, 10 August 2013 at 18:28:29 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
I find it interesting that very few Phobos devs have weighed in on the matter, but unfortunately, most of the posters who have weighed in do seem to be
against keeping them.

I am not actively participating in any NG discussions right now due to university work, but for the record, I am very much in favor of phasing out string lambdas as well (even if short-term removal is certainly not possible at this point).

I am sure all the relevant arguments have been brought up already, so I am not going to repeat them all over again, but in my opinion, the increased cognitive load for the user (a new syntax to learn) and the fact that string lambdas can't work for any cases involving free functions (std.functional importing half of Phobos just in case a string lambda could need a certain function clearly isn't a scalable solution) are more than enough a reason to ditch them.

String lambdas were a brilliant hack back then, but now that we have a proper solution, it's time to let them go.

David