On Sunday, 11 August 2013 at 15:49:25 UTC, monarch_dodra wrote:
On Sunday, 11 August 2013 at 15:42:24 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
On Sun, 11 Aug 2013 01:22:34 -0700
Walter Bright <newshou...@digitalmars.com> wrote:

http://elrond.informatik.tu-freiberg.de/papers/WorldComp2012/PDP3426.pdf

Holy crap those two-column PDFs are hard to read! Why in the world does academia keep doing that anyway? (Genuine question, not rhetoric)

But the fact that article even exists is really freaking awesome. :)

My guess is simply because it takes more space, making a 4 page article look like a 7 page ;)

Actually I think the opposite is true. Many CS conferences for
example have page limits and as multi-column allows you to use a
smaller font, and still have a readable document, the
multi-column layout lets you submit a longer paper.

In my experience with conference paper submission (which for me
usually had a 6 or 8 page limit) was getting the thing short
enough to submit.

Craig