On Thursday, 15 August 2013 at 01:03:24 UTC, Tyler Jameson Little wrote:
On Wednesday, 14 August 2013 at 17:35:24 UTC, Joakim wrote:
While remote desktop is decent, it's trying to do too much: mirroring an entire desktop is overkill. Better to use a lean client that handles most situations.

Maybe this is because I'm used to Linux, but I generally just want to forward an application, not the entire desktop. On Linux, this is trivial:

    $ ssh -X user@host
    $ gui-program <args>

However, Windows doesn't have this workflow, so mirroring the entire desktop became necessary.
Sure, but X forwarding is still laggy, as you pointed out.

Simpler is usually better, as long as simpler doesn't prevent you from creating something robust on top.
Well, that's where the problems come in. :) Making something robust usually implies complexity.

Best to split up the job, client-server runtimes, like webapps or the lean Crack client I'm talking about, handle most non-realtime online GUIs, while other toolkits handle the offline or real-time cases. No one toolkit can do it all, the market has already splintered this way.

In a widget toolkit, I think the same applies: make just enough controls that most people are satisfied, then make the toolkit easy to extend with custom controls.
I'm suggesting taking that philosophy to an extreme: almost no local controls, just a simple rendering runtime that slaps up rectangles and renders text, along with a few niceties like caching to lessen lag. All the controls are composed and placed into a layout on the server, which then tells the client how to build those controls out of very simple primitives: put a rectangle here and render this png into it, which happens to look like a button to the user. This won't work for side-scrolling games or other real-time stuff that's usually done in Flash now, but it will handle the long tail of apps.