On Saturday, 17 August 2013 at 16:43:14 UTC, Piotr Szturmaj wrote:
What happens when you forget a semicolon or a comma? Or make some typos? It silently breaks. I don't care if there are tools to help with it. It's still a mess. Did you see WAT (https://www.destroyallsoftware.com/talks/wat) ? If not, please do. Here are some examples of JS "additions" which WAT demonstrated:

[] + [] // yields empty string
[] + {} // [object Object]

Seriously, WTF!

I could explain, but I'm not sure you are interested. The ambiguity on that one come from {} being either an object literal or a block statement.

I feel pretty confident I can do a wat speech for D.

Obviously, you can't share every possible code. It's about sharing the cross cutting parts. Imagine an application with a server, web frontend and desktop frontend. With shared codebases, you could write one client code. Just use the same abstractions for the web and for the desktop. Then you can create similar interfaces from the same codebase. It's a huge win. Duplicating efforts is tiresome, error prone and obviously takes time.

It has already been done, but didn't caught up. Actually I can't even find theses project in google, so I guess ti was a compete fail.

It worked, but cause many problem, especially securitywise.