dsimcha wrote:

I suspect that your lack of understanding of ranges stems from lack of
understanding of templates, since you mention that "noone understands templates"
and once you get templates, ranges are ridiculously simple.  If that's the case,
then your best bet is probably to learn a little more about templates (which are
so fundamental to what makes D special IMHO that I would say that, for all
practical purposes, if you don't understand templates you don't understand D)
and
then try to understand ranges again.

I think steve understands templates and he was actually re-quoting the quotes from the digitalmars d docs:

http://digitalmars.com/d/2.0/template.html

I think that I can safely say that nobody understands template mechanics. -- Richard Deyman

http://digitalmars.com/d/2.0/templates-revisited.html

"What I am going to tell you about is what we teach our programming students in the third or fourth year of graduate school... It is my task to convince you not to turn away because you don't understand it. You see my programming students don't understand it... That is because I don't understand it. Nobody does."
-- Richard Deeman

Also I hope this quote summarizes some of the viewpoints of ranges implemented through templates:

"If a nuke had a single big red button as a detonator, then you have a lot of power and that is very easy to use. Doesn't necessarily make it the right weapon for the job though."