On Monday, 19 August 2013 at 21:01:49 UTC, Ramon wrote:
- looking for some kind of GUI-kit that is less massive than gtk, qt, etc. and runs pretty everywhere.

I'm now working on a minigui.d and pushed a very incomplete start to my github:

https://github.com/adamdruppe/misc-stuff-including-D-programming-language-web-stuff/blob/master/minigui.d

Also depends on simpledisplay.d and color.d from the same repo. There's still a *lot* I have to finish and change in there, but you can see my basic direction:

1) somewhat thinly wrap Win32 controls, then DIY to similar functionality on X for cross platformness. If you add a manifest resource/file, this uses the theming api too, so on WinXP it looks like an XP app, on Vista it looks like vista, etc.

2) Minimal dependencies, I'm not even using Phobos in here. The result: my test program is a 205 KB exe on Windows, with no dlls needed at runtime (except those that come with Windows), and you can compile it with just my three files, no need for special instructions to build the library, just add them to your dmd command line. (I'm even considering merging it into two files.)

3) The event model is kinda like javascript and the widget layout is a simple stretchy thing based on max/min width/height and a stretchiness factor.

4) Drawing is possible through simpledisplay.d's ScreenPainter or Open GL functions.

I'm about halfway to where I want to be with this now. After making the Windows impl good and the X impl barely working, I'll go back and see about making the X one slightly prettier and better functioning, but my emphasis is still on small size so don't expect too much. (One option would be to do GTK similarly like Windows as an option for nicer X version.)

Then if I still have time, I'll look at my would be nice list: a text mode alternative backend, a html5 thingy, and my plans for network transparency and detaching as discussed earlier in the thread.

But for now, I'm aiming low.