On 08/30/2013 12:50 PM, Rainer Schuetze wrote:
References from the data segment use absolute relocations.

Just remembered that we don't have that in Windows, so if we want to
mimick what C++ does, we'll have to generate initialization-code to be
run at startup to fill in the proper pointers from the import table.

This is also done at runtime by the loader. The additional startup time is one reason why exporting data in ABIs is bad. The other is copy relocations for writeable data (http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19082-01/819-0690/chapter4-84604/index.html).