On Sunday, 1 September 2013 at 11:43:53 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
I have a batch file tied to a command prompt shortcut that always sets the D environment when I launch it. Updating DMD is a matter of deleting the old directory and unzipping the zip file. Editing is a matter of launching Sublime Text 2. Compiling is alt-tabbing to the command prompt and typing "dub build". It's a painless process and I never have any trouble. Of course, I don't try to use the MS tools, or build DMD myself. That way lies pain.

For a few releases now the D installer for Windows has created a start menu shortcut that launches cmd.exe with dmd et al. added to the PATH. It also adds to the PATH during installation if you let it.