Christian Kamm wrote:
In the wake of the recent 'state of D' articles, I've looked at the D1 spec bugs on bugzilla and grouped them by topic. I've also separated them into issues that probably need compiler changes (+) and bugs that might be resolved by a spec change (*).

My plan is to go through the issues and to write up spec patches where the resolution is clear. This should cover a fair number of bugs, in particular those of the 'missing documentation' kind. If there's doubt as to what should be done, I'll assign to Walter and might bring the discussion to the newsgroup.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! *This* is exactly what is needed for D to get somewhere in my opinion. I'm so glad you've volunteered for this! Once D has a decent working spec D1 will finally be truely 'stable' :D

To show that this - apart from being useful for compiler developers and users alike - is far from boring, I'll present some facts I learned while experimenting with template ordering and IFTI in a separate post.

Unfortunately, the list is very long and thus I hope that more people will contribute patches. Sure, fixing bugs in the spec doesn't change the compiler or add a cool new feature, but I sincerely hope that it will make D more mature and simpler to implement.

Here is the list:

major missing documentation
 + 3007 stringof

-- Snip --

 * 1012 cannot instantiate template with no parameters or default parameters
        without !()

This is a huge list, congrats on compiling it!