On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 03:52:21PM +0200, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> I wish unix had a recursive user system. Where each user is root of
> its own little domain.

That's a neat idea. It's probably not hard to implement in Linux... but
I'm no kernel hacker so I wouldn't know where to start.

> Then each app I install would just be suid to a child user that has
> access only to its own little installation subdirectory. If it wants
> to write to my regular home, it can sudo back to my other user.
>
> It'd save the dangers of one account for everything that matters
> (the difference between me and root is fairly irrelevant - if root's
> files get messed up, I can just reinstall them from the cd. If my
> files get messed up, that's a real hassle!)

True! My older projects are on subversion hosted on a remote server, so
that serves as a crude kind of backup, but my newer projects (mostly D
stuff) are all on git, and if I lose $HOME, all of them will be gone for
good!!

Which reminds me... it's probably time to make backups of $HOME again...