On 17/09/2013 15:33, PauloPinto wrote:
On Tuesday, 17 September 2013 at 13:46:43 UTC, Bruno Medeiros wrote:
On 17/09/2013 07:24, Manu wrote:

       I closed about half my open tabs after my last email (~50 left
       open). Down
       to 93mb. You must all use some heavy plugins or something.
       My current solution has 10 projects, one is an entire game
       engine with over
       500 source files, hundreds of thousands of LOC. Intellisense
       info for all
       of it... dunno what to tell you.
       Eclipse uses more than 4 times that much memory idling with no
       project open
       at all...

   4 times ? You must have a pretty light instance of eclipse !

It's a fairly fresh eclipse install, and I just boot it up. It showed
the home screen, no project loaded. It was doing absolutely nothing and
well into 400mb.
When I do use it for android and appengine, it more or less works well
enough, but the UI feels like it's held together with stickytape and
glue, and it's pretty sluggish. Debugging (native code) is slow and
clunky. How can I take that software seriously?
I probably waste significant portion of my life hovering and waiting for
eclipse to render the pop-up variable inspection windows. That shit
needs to be instant, no excuse. It's just showing a value from ram.
Then I press a key, it doesn't take ages for the letter to appear on the
screen...

Android and Appengine?
There are two flaws in that comparison, the first is that apparently
you are comparing an Eclipse installation with a lot more tools than
your VS installation (which I'm guessing has only C++ tools, perhaps
some VCS tools too?). No wonder the footprint is bigger. For example,
my Eclipse instance with only DDT and Git installed, and opened on a
workspace with D projects takes up 130Mb:
http://i.imgur.com/VmKzrRU.png

With the recommend JVM memory settings (see
http://code.google.com/p/ddt/wiki/UserGuide#Eclipse_basics ), the
usage in that startup scenario goes up to 180Mb.
But even so that is not a fair comparison, the second flaw here is
that Eclipse is running on a VM, and is not actually using all the
memory that is taken from the OS.

If you wanna see how much memory the Java application itself is using
for its data structures, you have to use a tool like jconsole
(included in the JDK) to check out JVM stats. For example, in the DDT
scenario above, after startup the whole of Eclipse is just using just
40Mb for the Java heap:
http://i.imgur.com/yCPtS52.png

VS is also running in a VM as it is mostly a C# application nowadays,
since the WPF rewrite done to 2010.

--
Paulo

That point was not so much that it is running on a VM, but that the actual memory in use is much less than the memory taken from the OS. (the same thing could happen on a non-VM process)

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Engineer