On Friday, 20 September 2013 at 03:47:57 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:

I got a good way into the first (before I got distracted and stopped), and I find it very impressive considering it's on a system that competed
with the NES.

That's some classic 6502 vs. Z80 right there. Master System especially set itself apart by having way more memory and better video hardware. In general, Nintendo won by simply having better games (also, I prefer 2A03 sound to SN76489, though the YM2413 on the Mark III smokes both of them on the games that actually use it).

But the real kicker with Phantasy Star in particular, is it came out three days _before_ Final Fantasy, yet if you compare them side-by-side it's not even a fair contest.

-Wyatt