On Thursday, 19 September 2013 at 17:10:43 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
Consider a struct that may or may not have state depending on a type parameter:

I would like to note that this problem is a specific case of the general problem of changing a function's signature based on a compile-time value. The same problem exists with other attributes, and varying the presence of a template or function parameter. One example was that I wanted to define an overload set of function templates, where in some overloads, some parameters were function parameters, and in other overloads, the same parameters were template parameters (there was a significant optimization opportunity when the parameters were known at compile-time).