On 2013-09-26 15:53, Bruno Medeiros wrote:

You have to install the yourself, yes. Not compile it. Dub should take
care of the compiling aspect.

Have you tried it? It does _not_ compile a package when running "dub install".

If you just want to use the tool executable artifact, dub is likely not
right for you.

That might be the case. I'm just seeing this as a great opportunity to use libraries and tools for development.

If the tool requires more complex installation, the tool
developers should provide their own installer or OS distribution package.

A build tool should not download anything? That is antiquated C/C++/make
way of thinking. Popular build tools for modern languages all do
downloading, for example Apache Maven (for Java), Gradle (for lots of
different languages), and even RubyGems.

I just think that should be a separate tool.

You might say RubyGems is a package manager, and not a build tool. But
in practice it is both actually, even if it is not called a build tool:
It fullfills the the equivalent goal as structured build tools like
Maven or Graddle do for other language, the distinction is only less
clear becase Ruby as a language can be easily interpreted and does
require an overt "compilation/build" phase to generate an executable.

--
/Jacob Carlborg