On Thursday, 3 October 2013 at 20:11:02 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
On 10/3/13 12:47 PM, Brian Schott wrote:
On Thursday, 3 October 2013 at 19:07:03 UTC, nazriel wrote:
(Btw, someone got benchmarks of std.d.lexer?
I remember that Brain was benchmarking his module quite a lot in order to catch up with DMD's lexer but I can't find links in IRC logs. I
wonder if he achieved his goal in this regard)

The most recent set of timings that I have can be found here:
https://raw.github.com/Hackerpilot/hackerpilot.github.com/master/experimental/std_lexer/images/times4.png

They're a bit old at this point, but not much has changed in the lexer internals. I can try running another set of benchmarks soon. (The
hardest part is hacking DMD to just do the lexing)

The times on the X-axis are milliseconds.

I see we're considerably behind dmd. If improving performance would come at the price of changing the API, it may be sensible to hold off adoption for a bit.

Andrei

Quite frankly, I (or better say many of us) need a COMPLETE D lexer that is UP TO DATE. std.lexer should be, if it is a Phobos module, and that is all that matters. Performance optimizations can come later.

So what if it's API will change? We, who use D2 since the very beginning, are used to it! API changes can be done smoothly, with phase-out stages. People would be informed what pieces of the API will become deprecated, and it is their responsibility to fix their code to reflect such changes. All that is needed is little bit of planning...