On Thursday, 10 October 2013 at 17:39:55 UTC, Sean Kelly wrote:
On Oct 10, 2013, at 10:23 AM, Joseph Rushton Wakeling <joseph.wakel...@webdrake.net> wrote:

The way I see it we must devise a robust solution to that, NOT consider the
state of the art immutable (heh, a pun).

Must say I have had a miserable experience with immutability and any kind of complex data structure, particularly when concurrency is involved.

As long as the reference itself can be reassigned (tail-immutable, I suppose) I think immutable is occasionally quite useful for complex data structures. It basically formalizes the RCU (read-copy-update) approach to wait-free concurrency. I'd tend to use this most often for global data structures built up on app start, and updated rarely to never as the program runs.

Nice. Please show an example that includes complex data with associative arrays.

Thanks
Dan