Am 13.10.2013 16:21, schrieb qznc:
On Tuesday, 8 October 2013 at 15:43:46 UTC, ponce wrote:
At least on Internet forums, there seems to be an entire category of
people dismissing D immediately because it has a GC.

Whatever rational rebutal we have it's never heard.
The long answer is that it's not a real problem. But it seems people
want a short answer. It's also an annoying fight to have since so much
of it is based on zero data.

Just stumbled upon this paper "A Study of the Scalability of Stop-the-world
Garbage Collectors on Multicores". I have not read it in detail, but the
conclusion says:

"Our evaluation suggests that today, there is no conceptual reason to
believe that the pause time of a stop-the-world GC will increase with
the increasing number of cores and memory size of multicore hardware."

http://pagesperso-systeme.lip6.fr/Gael.Thomas/research/biblio/2013/gidra13asplos-naps.pdf

Thanks for the paper, as language geek I love to read them.

--
Paulo