Am 17.10.2013 19:16, schrieb David Nadlinger:
On Thursday, 17 October 2013 at 17:11:06 UTC, Sean Kelly wrote:
And even if this is doable in respect to DMD its going to be a big
problem for GDC or LDC to change the codegen.

Yes, any pointer anywhere. I recall someone posting a doc about a
compromise solution a few years back, but I'd have to do some digging
to figure out what the approach was.

LLVM actually comes with a quite expensive GC support infrastructure:
http://llvm.org/docs/GarbageCollection.html. As far as I'm aware, it is
not widely used in terms of the "top-tier" LLVM projects, so there might
be quite a bit of work involved in getting that to run.

David

Uhhh, this sounds really good. They in fact have everything to implement a generational garbage collector. This would improve the D GC situation a lot.

But reading the part about the shadow stack really lowers my expectations. Thats really something you don't want. The performance impact is so going to be so big, that it doesn't make sense to use the better GC in the first place.

Kind Regards
Benjamin Thaut