On Thursday, 24 October 2013 at 18:14:42 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
On Wednesday, October 23, 2013 14:39:21 Suliman wrote:
It would be great to have updated TDPL book...

I don't understand why people keep saying that. Is it because people keep repeating that incorrect assumption that it's out-of-date? Or is it just that too many people have the impression that D has changed drastically since TDPL was released? Almost nothing in TDPL is out-of-date, and for the most part, the stuff that is out-of-date is out-of-date because it has never been
implemented and not because something has changed.

I think your typical user (not one who works on D or phobos itself) runs into difficulties that take skill, understanding and sometimes knowledge of D history to work around and feel comfortable. The whole transitive mutability was a huge time sync for me and I would have liked more guidance. For instance, TDPL covers it, but it does not take you into the pitfalls of using it or the right/wrong way to scale with it. It does not detail the issues with associative arrays, for example. It does a great "this is how it works and here are the promised benefits" - but issues come up that make it feel harder to use. I love D, but so far I have to say it is a language that can make you feel stupid. With C++ there is less of that because the expectations are it is difficult and a PITA.

http://forum.dlang.org/post/mailman.1762.1373097795.13711.digitalmar...@puremagic.com

If some of the stuff that's been discussed in the newsgroup gets implemented (e.g. getting rid of toString, opEquals, toHash, and opCmp from Object), then TDPL will over time become more out-of-date and more incorrect, but at this point, the main problem is the errata. I could see someone wanting a new addition that described features that have been added since then (e.g. UDAs), but that list is quite short. If anything, the problem with TDPL is that some of what it describes still hasn't been implemented yet, and that list is also quite short. It explicitly avoided discussing things that weren't considered a sure thing at the time, so it's largely still correct and relevant.

You may be right. Maybe TDPL is not lacking for falling behind the language too much. It is also great at teaching C.S. concepts beyond the D language in general. But if you really want to know how to successfully use D, which is what people want from TDPL, it needs more. Either a second edition, or a different more advanced book, a cookbook, an effective ways book.

I really think that it's far too early for a new edition of TDPL. If we need more of anything, it's more online tutorials and articles on D, not a new
edition of TDPL.

- Jonathan M Davis

I wish you would write a book :-)

Thanks