On Monday, 4 November 2013 at 09:34:52 UTC, Simen Kjærås wrote:
On 04.11.2013 09:46, deadalnix wrote:
You are trying to solve a non problem here. s is not shared in the first
place, so you can start by fixing it here.

Now, if S has some indirection, then it make sense to mark it as shared,
but then the trick you propose won't work.

I believe we're talking past each other here. Perhaps a better example:

module foo;

struct S {
   immutable(int)[] arr;
   void fuzz() const pure {

void bar(S s) {
   s.fuzz();
}

void main() {
   shared S* s = new shared S;
   bar(*s);   // a
   s.fuzz(); // b
}

This example demonstrates the exact same behavior as before, and again I'm not doing a lot of anything special to get line a to compile.

Now, I'm still of the opinion that the 'trick' I propose works - making a copy of s is cheap (as that's what the spec says about copying structs), s is implicitly castable to immutable, and the function to be called is guaranteed not to change s in any way. From all that, it seems safe to call fuzz on a shared S.

Any read of arr in fuzz won't be sequentially consistent, so it would be incorrect to let you call fuzz on a shared object.