On Monday, 11 November 2013 at 18:21:21 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
I do understand that. I just have strong doubts about whether that is the best approach or not.

We made a slight adjustment on how exported data symbols should be accessed, always through a pointer indirection. Calling exported function already works transparently and accessing exported TLS variables isn't the most urgent issue. Given that exported data variables should be rare we're trading a tiny implementation change for a no worries export attribute.