Ary Borenszweig:

Your timings are good enough for me, I have updated the rosettacode page with the third D version.

However, I'm starting to think that all those immutable, final switches and gotos are useless if they don't give a performance benefit (well, final switches do give you more safety).

In the second D program if you compile with ldc2 the final switch gives a significant performance increase :-)

Maybe it's just that D/ldc doesn't use the immutability information and everything else to do aggressive optimizations?

This was discussed some time ago. Probably there are ways for ldc2 to use a little better the static information of well annotated D code.

Bye,
bearophile