Hello bearophile,
BCS:

Short of overflow detection (and the overhead that causes) I think
this is an issue inherent to discreet systems (a.k.a. all computer
systems) that we just have to live with.<

I don't understand what's the purpose of overflow detection in this
context. Are those differences between the D and Python output caused
by overflows?

After puzzling over that bit of thread for a bit, the only interpretation I came up with that seemed logical was that it was referring to integers being modulo 2^32: (int.max + 1 == int.min). In rereading it, I'm thinking you were talking about something else.