On Monday, 25 November 2013 at 10:28:12 UTC, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
On 25/11/13 11:10, Chris wrote:
That's my point. D had / has it all, while Java is bringing it in bit by bit after years, and people have to re-learn Java with every new update. But maybe that's by design, because there's a huge Java-certificate industry out there.

D obtained it over years, too, and has been much less constrained by the need to support a huge existing user-base

Yes, D could breathe, which only goes to show that commercialization can seriously slow down the introduction of useful features.

... I think you are once again letting your distaste for corporate management get the better of you ;-)

I agree, I wasn't clear about it. Corporate management does not mean that the product is bad. But it means that a bad product gets more attention, hype and finally users than a good product that is not developed within a big corporation. I think it is only logical that as soon as a language becomes a product designed within a corporation, the language's design may suffer from external factors that have nothing to do with language design itself. As you said, you have to support an existing user-base. There are marketing issues, the company offers courses (these have to be re-designed, if the language is being re-designed). There is a whole array of external factors that hamper the development of the language. It has nothing to do with my liking or disliking corporate thinking. It's just a logical consequence.

C# was Microsoft's answer to Java, to undermine Java and gain some market shares, and of course in order to do so, they had to make it (at least a bit) better. But strategic thinking and marketing played a big role, thus the language is naturally affected by it.

I'm sure that both C# and Java designers could tell us how much corporate thinking influences and impedes language design. I'm almost sure that there is some kind of "corporate ideology". I'm saying this as someone who actually liked Java and did a lot of Java programming.