On Thursday, 28 November 2013 at 20:57:39 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 09:27:03PM +0100, qznc wrote:
I read an interesting article [0] with a weird title. It got me
thinking about Ds marketing [1]. Are we too focused on the C++
programmers? Most of them are very unlikely to switch. In
comparison, D should be much easier to sell to people, who are
already considering Go/Scala/Clojure/Node.js/etc. I restructured [2]
the tutorial to target them more specifically.

[0] http://braythwayt.com/2013/11/27/herd-thither-me-hither.html#revised
[1] https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=6814922
[2] http://qznc.github.io/d-tut/basics.html

Under the section "For Go Programmers", the wording of the 2nd paragraph
is a bit unfortunate:

        Why would you prefer D? D supports generic programming, which
        means less code and type safety. ...

That could be misinterpreted to mean "less code and less type safety". (I know it sounds silly, but you never know... first impressions can
mean a lot to a newcomer.) Maybe a better wording might be:

        "... less code and better type safety." ?

I believe I had written "better" at some point, but was not happy with it. How can type safety be "better"? Type safety is binary. A type cannot be 50% safe. I changed it to "more type safety", in the sense that you need less casts. Short form of "more pervasive type safety". More suggestions welcome.

Thanks for the feedback :)