On 12/08/2013 04:37 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
On Sun, Dec 08, 2013 at 10:30:37AM +0100, Timon Gehr wrote:
On 12/08/2013 06:35 AM, H. S. Teoh wrote:

Or maybe this is just another one of those cultural old age
indicators?  Has the term "refactoring" shifted to mean "variable
renaming" among the younger coders these days? Genuine question. I'm
baffled that these two things could even remotely be considered
similar things.

"Refactoring" means changing code without changing its functional
behaviour.

OK, but still, renaming must be the most trivial of them all?

I don't think so. Eg. stripping comments and formatting is more trivial. :o)

Also, it is not too easy, an entire D front end and some additional static analysis is probably required to automatically rename symbols in a reliable way.